Tuesday, August 10, 2010

What a day!

I honestly can't put my finger on exactly what made today suck so badly; but it definitely did.  I think it was just the overall attitude of pretty much 95% of the people I spoke to today - Negative Nelly is the best description.  It didn't help that an automatic payment I had set up to go through this Friday was sent through in error yesterday which then caused other items I had set to pay today to overdraw my account.  It's the first of the month when 2/3 of the bills are all due so we're budgeted to the penny.  After this week, everything is smooth again but with paying for a few things for our anniversary and for Ethan's upcoming birthday & our vacation, this week was really tight.  But had it not been for the moron who posted the one payment too soon by 4 days, we'd have been fine.  So I got to spend a lovely 30 minutes on the phone with them to get my money and my overdraft fees refunded (which they did) and then another 15 minutes with another payment postponing it for 2 days until the money that was erroneously charged is back in my account.  All because someone can't read a calendar.

Then back to my real job.  For those I work with who may read this, I would like to thank all those who called with system questions (no sarcasm intended).  That was the highlight of my day because for the most part, I understand what I'm doing on that and actually felt like I accomplished something by helping you all work through it as well.  Beyond helping out a few people with this issue, I can't tell you anything at all that I accomplished today.  I can tell you that I was extremely busy all day and even left work late eventhough my boss was gone already and boarded a plane before I even left for the day.  I can tell you that I could have stayed for another hour and still not been done - but I can't for the life of me think of anything I actually accomplished today.  That and the negativity all day from every corner and I was completely drained when I got home.

What sight greeted me?  Alex walking towards me with paci & blankie in tow grinning a huge dimpled smile with twinkling eyes and saying "Mama!" around the paci.  That should make it all better, right?  We're not done yet.  I went to the restroom (I have a 4 year old (almost) and a 1 1/2 year old, I have no privacy) and Alex follows me in and sits right in front of me on the foot stool (he somehow thinks if Mama is going potty, he should sit down in the bathroom, too, and just smile at me).  I asked if he could leave the bathroom and give Mama a minute and he very clearly said "no" while he stood up and gave me a kiss and sat right back down to wait.  OK - some may think this is gross but I'm way over the privacy thing and it was really quite cute.  I finished my business and he followed me out and helped shut the door.  Then I went in the kitchen for something to drink and heard Ethan (who had still been napping - they took late naps today) come down and ask why his daddy hadn't awakened him.  Steve told him that he & Alex had just come down a few minutes before and that I was home.  He immediately came in the kitchen to give me a hug and kiss.  Yeah, the negativity is definitely starting to melt at this point.

I head back into the living room and Steve went next door to try to help our neighbor whose AC had gone out (he was looking to see if they have a reset switch - they didn't so he couldn't help but the AC did come back on but not at full force - at least it's SOME air though).  I sit in "Mama's chair" and Ethan is on the couch and Alex is sitting on the steps (I assume waiting for Steve to come back in).  I asked Alex if he could come sit with me and give me some "loves."  He happily obliged and sat with me cuddling for a good 10 minutes at which time Steve returned so Alex went to give Steve a turn and Ethan came over to cuddle some, too. 

Seriously guys, for anyone out there who has had a bad day and feels totally drained, I highly recommend a cuddle session with one or both of my boys who have recently had a nap so are nice and cuddly and not whiney (NOTE:  if they have not napped at all, run the other direction as your day will not improve by cuddling with my sleep deprived children).  While I was still drained and tired after the cuddle-fest, kisses & hugs; I did have a happier outlook - the world wasn't so bleak anymore.

So a huge thank you to Alex & Ethan for being good this evening, cuddling with me and eating dinner & dessert without making a mess and without making me beg.  I totally needed that.  Love you, boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment